Yep, I went and left things to the very last minute this year. I’d meant to get things rolling back in May, but it was a rough month. Then around the time I’d been seriously planning on starting near the beginning of June, we had company show up, which meant keeping the sewing supplies hidden for the weekend. I finally got it all set up last week, and my first order of business was to sort out this whole jacket thing.
I’ve been trying to think of the next round of costumes for Timmy; as I mentioned in the previous post, I’m trying to pick costumes that can use the fabric I already have, so I can minimize costs.
So here’s the list as it stands now: Continue reading
So, finally set up a Twitter account for this blog. I have it set up to have posts show up there, so you can now use Twitter to keep up-to-date with me and Timmy!
You can find us here: @timetravtim
We have a few more Costume Throw-Backs in the works, and I’ve also been trying to come up with some new costume ideas for Fan Expo this year. On the list so far is Gandalf, which I had planned to do last year, but never did because I couldn’t find the right material.
I’m going to look over the fabric I have, and see if I can come up with some characters for it all. It would save a ton of money, to be sure.
Anyhow, catch us on Twitter!!!
I said a couple of posts ago that I was cutting this close, so the fact that I’m able to get this post out before I head off is a miracle. I won’t have time to post a fashion show of the outfits before I head out, so you’ll have to wait for the shots I take out in the field, next week.
This one is image heavy, so beware if you’re on a slower connection.
I did the pants for the Alcatraz uniform ages ago, and now I’m about 80% done with the shirt (no pics, sorry! Figured they weren’t necessary, since it’s the same pattern as all the others). Collar, buttons, and pockets need doing.
I was planning on painting some buttons blue, but I’m just going to go with the darker ones I have in my possession, since they look okay with the shirt, and the contrast with the fabric colour is nice.
Okay, so here we are, crunch time and I’ve got lots of fiddly little stuff to do. I hate the fiddly stuff because it’s so varied and there’s no real way to organize it all. Am I doing buttons? Fantastic, buttons on everything. ALL THE BUTTONS. Snaps, and closures? NO PROBLEM.
Accessories? Oka….wait, what? We only need 1 of these? Oh dear….
Yep, the one-offs are probably the worst of everything, because you need to switch gears every time you complete one. It can leave one reeling and disoriented, to say the least.
But anyhow, let’s back-track, since I haven’t been keeping you quite up to date.
I got an unexpected day off on Saturday, so I took the opportunity to head out with mum to start on some of our travel-purchases. One of our stops was Fabricland, since I saw no reason to wait until today to go and grab the stuff I needed. And as there’s one near Vaughan Mills (which is where we did the rest of our shopping) it worked out well.
When I had to make up the duster coat and the bomber jacket back in 2013, I panicked a little at first. But I managed to figure it out, much to my delight.
So now that I’ve got some semblance of a pattern to help me out, I was still a little panicked. What if this didn’t work? What if, with my idea, the sewing machine couldn’t handle it? What then?
I usually don’t work from patterns, and my usual form of scratch-forming costumes is simply holding the fabric up to Timmy and going, “Yep, that’s enough!” and then cutting holes and sewing seams. It’s served me well in the past, and the mighty-epic-amazing Rebel Pilot costume was one of the products of that particular method of costuming.
It’s been so long, however, that I tried to make the gangster shirt and failed so miserably that I wondered how I ever managed in the first place. Like, how much of a fluke were my previous costumes that I couldn’t replicate the process after 2 years away?
So, I tracked down a couple of patterns and modified them for the size I needed.
Right, so I jumped in yesterday with my post, but didn’t really do much to explain what my current plans are. I’m sure from the basic description of what I’ll be making using the fabric I bought yesterday you can infer, but seriously, context is so much nicer.
I participate in NaNoWriMo every year, with varying degrees of success, and every year I totally wish that I had the time/ability/what-have-you to attend a very special gala in San Francisco that the NaNo staff throw to celebrate the event: The Night of Writing Dangerously. In order to attend, one needs to raise at least $300 for NaNo’s charity. (Anything more than $300 is peachy, and the top donors get very cool prizes.)
This year I decided that I would make every effort to put myself on that guest list, and within 2 weeks I was able to raise the appropriate funds to secure an RSVP slot. (I’m still fundraising, and my new goal is $500. If you’d like to contribute you can do so here <3)