Tags

, , , , ,

Okay, that was a terribad pun. I’m sorry (not sorry!).

So, let’s talk about ties, yes?

For the gangster tie, I had this gorgeous silky fabric all lined up. And then I tried making a tie, couldn’t flip the tub inside-out using my own methods, and then learned via Google that there’s a tool for that. Which, incidentally, works the way I was trying to do it on my own, I was just missing the straw part. It’s doesn’t work quite as well with just the rod.

The reason why I learned there was a tool for tube-making is because I went looking for doll-sized tie patterns, figuring there was an easier way to make what I needed.

The first one I found was too big and couldn’t be adapted right for my needs, but the second I found at American Doll Outfitters – Tie Pattern. I had to reduce the pattern to about 3/4 the original for the right sizing, but it worked out pretty good.

The only step I skipped was ironing it flat before trying to tie it, but it sits adequately for my purposes. I had my dad help me with tying it, and neither one of us wants to undo it just so I can fix it properly. It works, I moved on.

For the Victorian tie, I was once more making things far too complicated than they needed to be. All the tubes I made for the collar portion were too wide, and there was no way to make it narrower and still flip it inside-out.

With the realization that the black trim worked well for a shirt collar, I had the brain wave of using it for this tie. Folded in half from it’s pre-folded state made it the perfect width for the collar; unfolded it will work well for the poofier hanging portion of the tie.

The center piece folds around the back and up over to the front again; once it’s stuffed down the vest, it gets fluffed out. This one was all hand-sewn, as I’m sure that using the machine would’ve been catastrophic.

And that is the tie saga in a nutshell ­čÖé

Advertisements